So, maybe you are starting out as a publicity intern or a publicity assistant, but haven’t quite mastered the art of writing a strong press release. Well, here are some tips for how to improve your press release writing skills and come up with an original and persuasive press release for your local and national media. The purpose of a press release is to alert the media about an upcoming book. In the industry, we usually send out review copies with a one-page press release. Here are some tips for how to write a strong press release:
- Be clear and concise
- Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Check for correct ISBN, dates, and price list
- Include publishers logo at the top/bottom of the page
- Include contact details for publicist (email address and phone number)
- Include a high quality jpeg image of book cover
- Keep the press release to ¾ of a page or less
- Bold or italicize book title and author/s name
- Focus on 2-3 major selling points (author name, original content, 400 colour photos etc).
- Write 3-4 paragraphs maximum
- Avoid use of generic or overused hype words. Ex. Classic, in-depth, heart-warming, heart-wrenching, hot, timely
- Avoid being cheesy or dramatic
I find it really helps to have a colleague or mentor look over your first few press releases. They will likely have some great advice and feedback that will help you perfect your press release writing skills. It also helps to step back for a few hours and revisit a press release with fresh eyes. Hope this helps!
Check out a few examples of press releases here: